Monday, February 21, 2011

Eat Healthy... so you can play more.

Eating healthy is something most people, musicians, take for granted. A professional musician is on the go all the time. Usually the food is provided at the events, or your practice schedule or rehearsals are for hours on end, and it's hard to just 'take a break' when you are in the groove. More importantly, high school students, college students, and young musicians, who are bombarded with low cost options like fast food and junk food, should seriously consider their diet at a young age, which will help them continue to pursue their dreams in the professional musician job market.

One of the main reasons to start eating healthy young is health insurance. It is EXPENSIVE. My wife and I at one point were paying over $1,200 per month for a family of 5. That was more than my mortgage and association fee COMBINED! Just to insure yourself at a young age would cost you $150-300 per month. As a professional musician just starting off your career, there is a good chance that buying health insurance will be one of the last things on your list, because you will need to pay your rent/mortgage, utilities, and food. IF you make healthy choices during meal time, you will greatly reduce your chances of even catching a common cold, let alone a more serious illness.

People often say to me ‘well, eating organic is more expensive than getting a value meal”… that could not be more untrue. Sure, the cost of eating organic or whole foods may cost you more in the grocery store, but the truth is, you will find you will actually buy less of it because your body is satisfied on a lower amount of food. The second reason, and this is a big one, whether you have or don’t have health insurance, it is going to cost you MUCH more in medical expenses treating you for ailments that are usually caused by GMO (genetically modified organisms) or GE (genetically engineered) foods.

Now I’m not vegan, not a 100% vegetarian, my wife calls me more of a ‘flexitarian’. I generally do not eat meat, but when I do I am particular about what I am eating. I know there are times when I am going to have to eat what was provided me, and that to me is OK, but for the most part, I want to make sure that I am treating myself in a way that helps my body run to its fullest potential. Have you ever gotten ‘bad gas’ in your car? Well, eating bad food is like putting bad gas in your body, and may cause it too… then who is going to want to share a stage with you then, or record in a small studio… hmmmm.

If you want to be the best professional musician you can be, or the best in any profession, eating healthy should be a top priority in your life.

Brian Seltz
President
Christopher Elliott LLC

If you are interested in learning more about the food you eat, here are a few great documentaries to watch:

Food Inc
The Gerson Miracle
The Future of Food
The Beautiful Truth
Food Matters
Supersize Me

No comments:

Post a Comment